What can I expect when starting a new topical treatment for my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Depending on the medication used, there can be an adjustment period where the skin adapts to the treatment. In the process, the skin can look red and feel irritated or more sensitive, and there can be scaling of the skin, which feels like layers of the skin are peeling off. This can be minimized by increasing moisturizing of the area and by starting more slowly.

I usually recommend starting only one new medication at a time when possible so that if there is an unacceptable reaction it will be more clear as to which is the most likely offending agent. Also, you can usually start by using the medication less often and then increasing as your skin tolerates it. Also, most people use too much of the product at one time. You only need to use just enough to get a thin coat over the skin; anything else is only waste and increases the risk of irritation.

What people often perceive as their skin getting worse when they start a new treatment is simply irritation and peeling from this adjustment. If the predominant type of acne is comedonal and the comedones are deep under the skin, sometimes the skin may look temporarily worse as these lesions move through the surface and are expelled. This can take 1 month or longer to run its course.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

what can a doctor do for acne scars ?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
If your acne is pretty much gone and you have brown spots left, a program of sunscreen, prescription...
how is infantile acne treated ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Once diagnosed, infantile acne is usually treated with appropriate oral or topical antibiotics i...
what are treatments for acne ?
Treatments for acne can include the following: Topical or oral antibiotics and creams can be use...
what are some prescription medicines for acne ?
There are lots of other options, depending on your level of inflammation, the type of pimples you ha...