What is dermabrasion for treating acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
In the process of dermabrasion, the upper and middle layers of the skin are removed in order to improve acne scarring. Important considerations need to be addressed before undergoing this type of procedure. Dermabrasion is ideal for people with types I–IV skin who have superficial scars. Healing time is involved, and local anesthetic is a must because the procedure is otherwise very painful.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How long should it take for acne treatment to work?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
I see plenty of patients who come in with a list of treatments that they have tried and that hav...
How long should a typical acne pimple last?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Some people note that their pimples last for months before finally going away. Comedones, the plugge...
What should acne-prone people wash their faces with?
Stay away from soap, which can rob your skin of its protective barrier and alter your skin's chemist...
What agents are used in chemical peels to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Peeling agents include alpha-hydroxy acids (glycolic acid), salicylic acid, and trichloroacetic ...