What is dermabrasion for treating acne?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
In dermabrasion, the skin is anesthetized and frozen and an extremely sharp rapidly rotating blade sheers away damaged tissue. This procedure, the equivalent of deep sanding, has fallen out of favor with the availability of newer, easier techniques.
Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
In the process of dermabrasion, the upper and middle layers of the skin are removed in order to improve acne scarring. Important considerations need to be addressed before undergoing this type of procedure. Dermabrasion is ideal for people with types I–IV skin who have superficial scars. Healing time is involved, and local anesthetic is a must because the procedure is otherwise very painful.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Can I use other acne treatments while taking oral isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In general, oral isotretinoin is used only as a monotherapy, meaning that once you start oral is...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with acne?
A consistent daily routine is a key factor in treating acne. If you can help to keep to a cleans...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?