What are common side effects of acne treatments?

Some of the ingredients in over-the-counter and prescription acne creams, lotions, or gels can cause sensitivity, allergy, irritation, itchiness, and dry skin, especially if they are overused. Antibiotics taken by mouth can cause allergy, gastrointestinal symptoms, sensitivity to light, and teeth staining. If you are a woman, you may get a vaginal yeast infection. Women receiving hormonal treatments may have breast tenderness, irregular periods, and headaches. If you are taking isotretinoin, side effects may include changes in mood and behavior that could become severe. The side effects of acne treatments will vary and depend on your personal tolerance to each of them. Read the labels of each product carefully before you take any medicine, so you know how to use it properly and what side effects are possible. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is there a limit on the amount of isotretinoin I can receive for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Because isotretinoin can affect bones and other organ systems, there is a maximal lifetime dose ...
How do medications treat acne?
Prescription topical treatments help by promoting cell turnover and also by killing bacteria on ...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?