What are common side effects of acne treatments?

Some of the ingredients in over-the-counter and prescription acne creams, lotions, or gels can cause sensitivity, allergy, irritation, itchiness, and dry skin, especially if they are overused. Antibiotics taken by mouth can cause allergy, gastrointestinal symptoms, sensitivity to light, and teeth staining. If you are a woman, you may get a vaginal yeast infection. Women receiving hormonal treatments may have breast tenderness, irregular periods, and headaches. If you are taking isotretinoin, side effects may include changes in mood and behavior that could become severe. The side effects of acne treatments will vary and depend on your personal tolerance to each of them. Read the labels of each product carefully before you take any medicine, so you know how to use it properly and what side effects are possible. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How should I treat acne nodules and cysts?
Big, painful pimples that are large, hard bumps are called nodules or cysts. They are oil-filled pim...
Can I use other acne treatments while taking oral isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In general, oral isotretinoin is used only as a monotherapy, meaning that once you start oral is...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?