What are the treatment options for severe acne?

You doctor has different treatment options available for severe acne. They may prescribe a topical medicine to be applied to the affected area. They may also prescribe topical or oral antibiotics. In some severe cases, your doctor may suggest using isotretinoin, an oral medication. Isotretinoin has serious side effects, however, and will not be suitable for everyone. Another option is to do a procedure, such as laser or light therapy. Or your doctor may inject the area with corticosteroids, or cut it and drain out the pus.

The specific treatment for severe acne will depend on the individual and on the type of severe acne. For most cases of severe acne, a combination of treatments is most effective. That may mean a combination of an antibiotic and a prescription. You should consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What agents are used in chemical peels to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Peeling agents include alpha-hydroxy acids (glycolic acid), salicylic acid, and trichloroacetic ...
Who is most likely to benefit from hormone therapy for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
For optimal results from hormonal therapy, appropriate patient selection is key. Hormonal therapy is...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?