What are treatment options for acne scars?

Joseph Ajaka
Cosmetology

There are several ways to treat and reduce the scars that have been left by acne.  The severity of the scars and your individual skin type will determine which procedure will be best suited to you.  Most scars left by acne can be dramatically improved with the use of a high quality fractionated laser. These highly advanced lasers use an invisible laser beam to pass through the dry, outer layer of skin and wound the underlying collagen, which causes a regeneration of collagen as the skin heals. Another treatment option is skin needling or Dermarollers, which can be used to treat a variety of skin concerns including acne scarring. Skin needling stimulates new tissue formation by the use of micro-fine needles. These pierce the collagen fibers, thus stimulating new growth. An exciting treatment available is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) which is a natural treatment for improving skin texture and elasticity. It uses your own plasma as a seed to stimulate further production of collagen and naturally improve the look of your skin. Platelets gradually increase collagen which can increase skin thickness and overall health of the skin. You can also consider using dermal filler to in areas of the volume loss. This is a very common treatment as the filler is used to plump and fill the depressed loss of volume left by the scar. Any of these options can be used as standalone treatments or in combination which each other to deliver the best possible results to treat acne scars.

When not treated, moderate and severe acne can cause significant scarring. Cosmetic treatment for scarring includes chemical peels, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion and laser resurfacing. For deep, crater-like scars where laser resurfacing is ineffective, there is soft tissue augmentation. This is a procedure in which the patient's fat (from another part of the body) is used to correct the deep contour, or soft tissue fillers like collagen, hyaluronic acid or fascia lata may be used.

Depending on the depth and severity of the scarring, there are several treatment options to choose from. Shallow scars can be treated with chemical peels, dermabrasion procedures, and laser treatments, which help even out the surface of the skin. Sometimes scars can be injected with a substance like fat or collagen, which helps raise the indented area to be level with the surface of the skin. Scars can also be cut out completely, and the surrounding skin can be sewn back together.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Does topical salicylic acid have any side effects?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Skin irritation may occur around the treated area. Serious allergic reactions have occurred, but are...
How does photodynamic therapy work to treat acne?
Photodynamic therapy involves painting your face with a clear liquid acid (ALA or Levulan) that is a...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?