What is the Smoothbeam device for treating acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The Smoothbeam system is a diode laser that has clearance to treat both acne and depressed scarring caused by acne. This laser emits energy at 1450 nm. A multiyear study done at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego found that acne lesion counts were significantly lower after only one treatment and that patients had a reduction in lesions of more than 98% after four 20-minute laser sessions. In addition, the researchers reported that patients also noted a 6-month remission of acne lesions after treatment.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How is severe acne treated?
A number of therapies may be used to treat severe acne. Doctors may drain large bumps, or cysts,...
How do medications treat severe acne?
For severe acne, doctors will often recommend using both a topical treatment and a course of oral an...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?