What are common side effects of topical creams/lotions for acne?

The most common side effect of creams and lotions for acne is sensitivity or allergy to the ingredients. If these topical acne treatments are used correctly, they shouldn't cause much of a problem. But some people overuse them, thinking that more is better. However, the opposite is true. Using these medicines improperly can make skin red and scaly, and it can peel and crack. Healthy skin should not be too dry or too oily. It may take a period of trial and error to find the perfect program for your type of skin. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Can cosmetic procedures help treat acne scars?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
In general, there are certain procedures that have been used in the past for treating acne scars inc...
When should I ask my doctor to refer me to a skin specialist for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you feel that your acne is persistent or is leading to scarring and you have tried what you c...
What are the most common side effects of oral acne antibiotics?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The most common side effects of antibiotics include upset stomach and nausea. Other side effects...
What topical products can help treat acne blemishes?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Topical vitamin A creams and gels can both prevent and clear blemishes before they lead to scar ...