What role do steroid injections play in treating acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
An injection of the steroid called cortisone in various concentrations directly into inflammatory lesions is a mainstay of acne treatments. It can be especially helpful for large inflammatory lesions. There is a slight risk of localized thinning of the skin, which may or may not resolve within a few months. The treatment is best done early on in the inflammatory process to both minimize the inflammation and clear the lesion more quickly. Other acne treatments can be continued without interruption.

Injections can be especially useful for the occasional flare of inflammatory acne or the few lesions that often come with monthly menstrual periods in an otherwise successful acne management routine; however, if you find that you are going in weekly for injections, then you probably need to reconsider your overall acne regimen.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What are the common side effects of oral isotretinoin for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Oral isotretinoin has become a very controversial drug because of some of the side effects associate...
Does oral isotretinoin cure acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Because acne is an often chronic condition of the skin that is influenced by both genetic and extern...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?