Do relapses of acne occur after treatment with isotretinoin?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Recurrence of acne is not uncommon after oral isotretinoin treatment. Some people are successfully retreated with oral and topical antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, and topical retinoids, but a significant number require retreatment with isotretinoin. According to one study, only 38% of patients had no acne at the 3-year follow-up after a single course of oral isotretinoin. Among the remaining patients, acne was controlled with topical treatment in some and topical treatment plus oral antibiotics in others, and in a significant number of patients, retreatment with oral isotretinoin was required for adequate results.

The authors of the study noted that relapse was more likely to occur in patients who were 16 years old or younger and in women versus men. Relapse is most common in the first year after treatment. Maintenance treatment with a topical retinoid may reduce the relapse rate.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is there a supplement that can help treat acne?
Cybele Fishman, MDCybele Fishman, MD
A wonderful, natural supplement for treating acne is fermented cod liver oil. Watch dermatologist Cy...
What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?