How does photodynamic therapy work to treat acne?

Photodynamic therapy involves painting your face with a clear liquid acid (ALA or Levulan) that is absorbed by skin cells, especially damaged ones. After a half hour or so, an intense beam of light is used to activate the acid in the cells, which kills the bacteria responsible for the acne. The procedure, which may need to be repeated, can be incredibly painful both during and afterward, and you may experience redness and peeling for a week or two. However, it quickly clears up acne problems; plus, if there are any actinic keratoses, or precancers, around, it wipes them out too. However, I don’t encourage patients to go this route. It’s painful and costly, and probably won’t be covered by your health insurance plan.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Does timing matter when taking oral antibiotics to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Several advances have taken place in the realm of antibiotic production. Although the original f...
What is radiofrequency treatment for acne scars?
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about w...
How often should I wash my face if I'm prone to acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
It is important to keep the face clean without over-washing or scrubbing. The face, or any skin ...
Will general topical antibiotics clear my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Topical antibiotic preparations such as Neosporin or bacitracin are very effective against speci...