Besides antibiotics, what other oral therapies can treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Oral zinc has been shown to be effective against noninflammatory lesions but does not affect comedones (inflamed hair follicles). This is true even in people who do not show signs of zinc deficiency in their blood or skin. Zinc may safely be used in the summer because there is no issue of phototoxicity. It is typically prescribed in a dose of 200 mg/day without food. Side effects at this dose may include upset stomach and nausea. Zinc may be considered as an alternative to tetracyclines, although dermatologists do not commonly use it.

Nicomide is a vitamin supplement that is now available in prescription form to help treat inflammatory acne. It seems to affect the inflammatory types of acne and has had some success when used along with other oral and/or topical medications in the treatment of acne.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Will scrubbing your skin help unclog pores?
Heidi Waldorf, MDHeidi Waldorf, MD
Clogged pores are not from excess dirt so no amount of scrubbing will help them 'unclog'. Pores look...
How can putting an antibiotic medicine on teen skin clear up acne?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Teenage acne is a dermatologic condition in which the pores become clogged with excess production of...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?