If I get only a few pimples a month, do I need to treat them?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Whether to treat acne at all and even how to treat acne are very personal decisions. Some people are devastated by one lesion, especially if it is centered right in the middle of their nose; others can have many lesions and barely even notice. I have learned in my practice never to guess why someone has come in for the visit. I arrived at this conclusion after several instances of sitting down, looking at the patient, and saying, “So, you are here for your acne?” thinking that without a doubt, the acne was the reason for the visit -- only to be shot down with, “No, I’m here for this mole on my arm.” Clearly, some are more bothered by their acne than others.

Acne is divided into three basic categories from mild to severe depending on the number of pimples and the amount of scarring: (1) mild = nonscarring, fewer than 10 lesions; (2) moderate = may scar, more than 10 lesions; and (3) severe = cystic, nodulocystic, scarring.

If you get only one new acne lesion of any type per month, but each lesion leaves behind a scar, this would make 12 new scars each year. In this case, it would be wise to treat the acne in order to prevent as many new lesions as possible and to help the ones that do appear to clear as quickly as possible in order to minimize the chance of permanent scarring.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Can more serious forms of acne be treated?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Yes. Work with your doctor to find the best treatment for you.Moderate to moderately severe acne. Th...
How long should a typical acne pimple last?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Some people note that their pimples last for months before finally going away. Comedones, the plugge...
How can I treat blackheads, whiteheads and milia myself?
A daily face wash with benzoyl peroxide to kill the bacteria is helpful. Use this after your daily c...
What can a doctor do for acne scars?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
If your acne is pretty much gone and you have brown spots left, a program of sunscreen, prescription...