What is the Nlight-V laser system for treating acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The latest laser to get US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval is the Nlite-V laser system. It is a 585-nm pulsed dye laser. It has FDA approval for use on moderate inflammatory acne on the face. This laser emits a wavelength of yellow light that heats small blood vessels, encouraging healing and stimulating collagen production. According to studies done on 41 patients in London, patients noted a 50% improvement in acne lesion counts after one 5-minute treatment session. Results typically lasted for up to 3 months.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How is infantile acne treated?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Once diagnosed, infantile acne is usually treated with appropriate oral or topical antibiotics i...
How often should I wash my face if I'm prone to acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
It is important to keep the face clean without over-washing or scrubbing. The face, or any skin ...
Are there new topical antibiotics for acne treatment?
Some of the newer types of topical antibiotics for acne treatment involve combination medicines. Whe...
What can I expect when starting a new topical treatment for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Depending on the medication used, there can be an adjustment period where the skin adapts to the...