How do newer laser devices differ from earlier models to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology

In the past, CO2 lasers were used to heat water within the skin. This would cause destruction of the upper layers of the skin and sometimes go even deeper. There was a 2- to 3-month healing time, after which there could still be redness for months, and then areas of the skin could appear darker or lighter than the adjacent skin. This type of treatment is still used to treat certain types of acne scarring; however, it is not recommended for the treatment of active acne.

The newer devices can target the source of the acne, such as the sebaceous gland, the Propionibacterium acnes bacterium, or the blood vessels that supply the swelling and redness, without damaging the surrounding skin. In this way, treatments can be done over time without limiting the activities of the person being treated. No “downtime” or at least very little downtime exists. This advance has made these devices more accessible and more useful in the treatment of many skin conditions. They are also much less painful than the earlier devices.

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What is the Smoothbeam device for treating acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The Smoothbeam system is a diode laser that has clearance to treat both acne and depressed scarr...
How is prescription topical medication helpful in treating acne?
Prescription topical treatments help by promoting cell turnover and also by killing bacteria on ...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?