How do I manage my severe acne on a daily basis?

Daily management of severe acne requires careful understanding and following of the treatment plan prescribed by a dermatologist. It also requires patience, as the treatment plans can take up to six months to be fully effective. You should consult a dermatologist for more information.

If you have severe acne, you may need medical treatment. If your doctor recommends medicine, take it as directed. In general, you may also want to wash with a gentle cleanser and avoid irritants. For example, it may help to avoid oil-based makeup and tight-fitting clothing.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Acne Treatment

Acne Treatment

Acne treatments vary, depending on the severity of your acne. Many teenagers and adults can control mild acne with over-the-counter topical solutions, like acne cream and salicylic acid products that loosen blackheads and whitehea...

ds, clearing clogged pores. For more severe acne, dermatologists may recommend prescription medications, or even an in-office procedure such as a chemical peel or laser treatment. Learn more about acne treatment with expert advice from Sharecare.