How long should it take before acne improves with oral isotretinoin?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology

In some cases, there can be a flare of the acne in the first month after starting isotretinoin. There are ways around this. Sometimes a short course of prednisone is given to minimize inflammation and to avoid the flare that would accompany it. In most cases, however, we start at a lower dose and incrementally increase the dose over the first 1 to 2 months as the patient acclimates to the drug.

In general, it takes approximately 1 to 2 months after starting treatment to really see results. This means that there should be fewer or no new lesions and that the lesions that do come up should be smaller and should resolve more quickly. Results tend to last for at least several months to years after stopping treatment.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How can skin-lightening creams help my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Creams that are designed to lighten the skin are available; this can be very useful for hyperpigment...
What role do steroid injections play in treating acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
An injection of the steroid called cortisone in various concentrations directly into inflammator...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?