What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from acne. Light chemical peels (meaning that they do not penetrate beyond the upper layers of the skin) may be useful in acne patients to help correct surface scarring and hyperpigmentation. After a light or superficial chemical peel, the skin may stay red for a few hours and then return to normal. It is unusual and undesired to have blistered areas of bleeding after a superficial chemical peel. There is typically no obvious peeling of the skin after these treatments, and thus, the word peel is a misnomer.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How long is the usual course of oral isotretinoin for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The effect of oral isotretinoin, especially in severe nodulocystic acne, can be dramatic. Most c...
What can I use for acne while I'm pregnant?
Pregnancy-safe acne remedies include prescription topical erythromycin or azeleic acid, or over-the-...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?