What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from acne. Light chemical peels (meaning that they do not penetrate beyond the upper layers of the skin) may be useful in acne patients to help correct surface scarring and hyperpigmentation. After a light or superficial chemical peel, the skin may stay red for a few hours and then return to normal. It is unusual and undesired to have blistered areas of bleeding after a superficial chemical peel. There is typically no obvious peeling of the skin after these treatments, and thus, the word peel is a misnomer.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

what procedures can be used to treat acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are a number of procedures done in a doctor’s office to treat acne. These procedures include c...
does timing matter when taking oral antibiotics to treat acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Several advances have taken place in the realm of antibiotic production. Although the original f...
is homeopathy available for acne treatment ?
There are homeopathic medications for acne treatment, though there's no substantial evidence that th...
how long does it take to see results from laser treatments for acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Results from laser/intense pulsed light treatments can occur from 1 day to 1 month after startin...