If my hormone levels are normal, will hormone therapy help my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
It is important to note that hormonal therapy can be very effective in women even if the blood levels of the serum androgens are within normal limits. Although women with acne are more likely to have abnormalities in hormonal evaluations than women without acne, most women with acne who are evaluated for hormonal abnormalities have androgen levels that are within normal limits. Hormonal therapies seem to work best in adult women and sexually active teens with persistent inflammatory papules and nodules that commonly involve the lower face and neck. These women often report that their acne flares before their menstrual periods and consists of painful, often deep, inflammatory papules and nodules. The skin may or may not be oily. There are also often comedones on the forehead and chin, especially in teenagers. These women also note that there is little or no improvement in their acne even after multiple courses of antibiotics.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What types of nonprescription topical acne treatments are available?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
With over-the-counter topical treatments, the formulations are designed to work on many differen...
Can I use other acne treatments while taking oral isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In general, oral isotretinoin is used only as a monotherapy, meaning that once you start oral is...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?