How should I treat acne nodules and cysts?

Big, painful pimples that are large, hard bumps are called nodules or cysts. They are oil-filled pimples that live deep under the skin, showing up as swollen bumps. These can scar.

Injections of dilute kenalog, an anti-inflammatory steroid, oral antibiotics, and topical retinoids can come in to the rescue here. The injections would go directly into the pimple (this is called an ILK Intra Lesional kenalog). It will dissolve oil and reduce inflammation.

Oral antibiotics will help dry deep pimples and prevent new breakouts.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is Accutane a Safe Acne Treatment for Teens?
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?