How should I deal with acne scars?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
Prevention may sound like a glib answer to how to handle acne scars. But since an estimated 10 million Americans become scarred to some extent by acne each year, intervention is by far the best solution.

Who will develop acne scars and how severe will scarring be? Short of a crystal ball, much of that is left to chance. What we do know is that genetics play a definite role in the likelihood of acne severity and consequent scar formation. Also, the severity of preteen acne lesions is linked to a more severe form of scarring later in adolescence or adulthood.

Because 95% of acne patients will develop scarring to some degree, the earlier the treatment appropriate for the severity of the outbreak is initiated, the better the odds are that scar formation will be mild. Delaying acne therapy by 3 or more years is likely to increase one's risk of more significant acne scarring.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How can I prevent acne scarring?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The best way to prevent scars is this: Don’t pick at your pimples. Trauma to the skin caused by ...
Who is most likely to benefit from hormone therapy for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
For optimal results from hormonal therapy, appropriate patient selection is key. Hormonal therapy is...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?