How should I deal with acne scars?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
Prevention may sound like a glib answer to how to handle acne scars. But since an estimated 10 million Americans become scarred to some extent by acne each year, intervention is by far the best solution.

Who will develop acne scars and how severe will scarring be? Short of a crystal ball, much of that is left to chance. What we do know is that genetics play a definite role in the likelihood of acne severity and consequent scar formation. Also, the severity of preteen acne lesions is linked to a more severe form of scarring later in adolescence or adulthood.

Because 95% of acne patients will develop scarring to some degree, the earlier the treatment appropriate for the severity of the outbreak is initiated, the better the odds are that scar formation will be mild. Delaying acne therapy by 3 or more years is likely to increase one's risk of more significant acne scarring.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How can I get rid of facial scarring from acne blemishes?
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. While all women are beautiful in their ...
Can more serious forms of acne be treated?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Yes. Work with your doctor to find the best treatment for you.Moderate to moderately severe acne. Th...
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?