How do oral antibiotics work to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Oral antibiotics work by reducing the number of Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) and Staphylococcus epidermidis in the skin. P. acnes is thought to trigger the inflammatory response in acne and therefore plays an important role in the formation of acne lesions. Also, antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory activity, which makes them especially useful in inflammatory acne treatment.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What is radiofrequency treatment for acne scars?
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about w...
How do newer laser devices differ from earlier models to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In the past, CO2 lasers were used to heat water within the skin. This would cause destruction of...
Why are there so many different treatments for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In a nutshell, so many treatments are available for acne because no one treatment is perfect and bec...
What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...