How do oral antibiotics work to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Oral antibiotics work by reducing the number of Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) and Staphylococcus epidermidis in the skin. P. acnes is thought to trigger the inflammatory response in acne and therefore plays an important role in the formation of acne lesions. Also, antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory activity, which makes them especially useful in inflammatory acne treatment.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What agents are used in chemical peels to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Peeling agents include alpha-hydroxy acids (glycolic acid), salicylic acid, and trichloroacetic ...
Can I find salicylic acid in OTC moisturizers and makeup?
You can find salicylic acid in over-the-counter moisturizers and makeup. This ingredient is also...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?