How long should a typical acne pimple last?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Some people note that their pimples last for months before finally going away. Comedones, the plugged hair follicles, can last for weeks or months or longer if not treated. Inflammatory lesions usually clear within days to weeks; however, marks (red and eventually brown) can be left behind that remain for months longer. Also, because acne can recur in the same spot -- sometimes just as the lesion is beginning to clear -- it can flare again, which makes it seem like it is lasting for months.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
Is Accutane a Safe Acne Treatment for Teens?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?