How long should a typical acne pimple last?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Some people note that their pimples last for months before finally going away. Comedones, the plugged hair follicles, can last for weeks or months or longer if not treated. Inflammatory lesions usually clear within days to weeks; however, marks (red and eventually brown) can be left behind that remain for months longer. Also, because acne can recur in the same spot -- sometimes just as the lesion is beginning to clear -- it can flare again, which makes it seem like it is lasting for months.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...
Ellen Rome, MD
Pediatrics
Watch as Dr. Ellen Rome discusses how long a typical acne pimple lasts and how to properly treat it.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How is mild adult acne treated?
Mild acne in adults can be improved with over-the-counter (OTC) acne medications. People with mild a...
Do relapses of acne occur after treatment with isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Recurrence of acne is not uncommon after oral isotretinoin treatment. Some people are successfully r...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?