How does isotretinoin work to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Oral isotretinoin is a retinoid preparation that decreases the size and secretion of the sebaceous glands. It normalizes the skin cells, especially those lining the pores. It prevents the formation of new comedones (inflamed hair follicles). It indirectly inhibits the growth of Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) by changing the environment in which the bacteria usually live, making it much less inviting. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect.

During oral isotretinoin therapy, sebum production is reduced by 90% or more. This leads to a substantial decrease in the levels of P. acnes; however, both P. acnes and sebum levels increase once the medication is discontinued. This makes oral isotretinoin unique among all of the current oral acne treatments available in that it affects all of the underlying factors behind the process of acne. It makes it a highly effective but sometimes controversial treatment option.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What kind of topical antibiotics are used to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Topical antibiotics are a mainstay of doctor-prescribed acne therapy. They are uncommonly used a...
Will scrubbing your skin help unclog pores?
Heidi Waldorf, MDHeidi Waldorf, MD
Clogged pores are not from excess dirt so no amount of scrubbing will help them 'unclog'. Pores look...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?