How do retinoids treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

The wonderful part about retinoids is that they affect several of the most important steps in the path to acne formation. They get to the root problem of acne by preventing microcomedo (plugged hair follicle) formation. They decrease the number of existing comedones and block pathways that lead to inflammation. Several studies have shown that there is an enhanced therapeutic benefit when topical retinoids are used along with other topical and oral treatments for acne. Irritation from retinoids is still an issue in that some people are very sensitive to these treatments; however, patient education and proper use reduce this potential side effect.

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is Accutane a Safe Acne Treatment for Teens?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?