How does the hormone spironolactone work to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Spironolactone functions as both an androgen receptor blocker and possibly also an inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase type 1. In doses of 50-100 mg/day, it has been shown to reduce sebum production and improve acne. In countries such as the United States with no effective anti-androgenic medications, spironolactone may be used for women with therapy-resistant acne, although it has not been formally approved for this condition. In one study looking at spironolactone therapy in acne, one-third of the patients had complete clearing of their acne, one-third had marked improvement, and nearly one-third showed partial improvement, with less than 10% showing no improvement of their acne.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Are there side effects from long-term use of acne medications?
Some people might discover that the medicines that once helped their acne have lost their effectiven...
Can acne medicines cause antibiotic resistance?
Antibiotic use, appropriate or otherwise, contributes to the development of antibiotic resistance. T...
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?