Is the hormone flutamide an effective acne treatment?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Flutamide blocks the androgen receptor and is approved for the treatment of prostate cancer. However, it has been used at doses of 250 mg twice a day in combination with oral contraceptives for the treatment of acne or hirsutism in women. In a study comparing flutamide with spironolactone, flutamide was shown to be superior in reducing total acne after just 3 months.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What agents are used in chemical peels to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Peeling agents include alpha-hydroxy acids (glycolic acid), salicylic acid, and trichloroacetic ...
Why should teenage acne be treated?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Teens need special attention and counseling in order to maximize the benefits of treatment. Because ...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?