Is the hormone flutamide an effective acne treatment?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Flutamide blocks the androgen receptor and is approved for the treatment of prostate cancer. However, it has been used at doses of 250 mg twice a day in combination with oral contraceptives for the treatment of acne or hirsutism in women. In a study comparing flutamide with spironolactone, flutamide was shown to be superior in reducing total acne after just 3 months.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How is acne treated?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Acne treatments work by reducing oil production, speeding up skin cell turnover, fighting bacter...
How is acne treated with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
Acne caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is treated in several ways. PCOS is a condition ...
What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...
What are self-care remedies for pregnancy acne?
There are many effective self-care remedies for acne with pregnancy. Here are some to try: Wash ...