How does the hormone cyproterone acetate work to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Cyproterone acetate (CA) blocks the androgen receptor. It is combined with an estrogen called ethinyl estradiol in an oral contraceptive formulation commonly used in Europe for the treatment of acne (Dianette, Diane-35). It is not currently available in the United States. Reports have shown improvement of 75% to 90% in patients taking variations of this medication. CA works through a dual action of both inhibiting ovulation and blocking the androgen receptors. This drug should be used only in women because of the risk of feminization in men (increased breast size and other effects).
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How can I get my old acne scars treated?
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. While all women are beautiful in their ...
What can I use for acne while I'm pregnant?
Pregnancy-safe acne remedies include prescription topical erythromycin or azeleic acid, or over-the-...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?