How does the hormone cyproterone acetate work to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Cyproterone acetate (CA) blocks the androgen receptor. It is combined with an estrogen called ethinyl estradiol in an oral contraceptive formulation commonly used in Europe for the treatment of acne (Dianette, Diane-35). It is not currently available in the United States. Reports have shown improvement of 75% to 90% in patients taking variations of this medication. CA works through a dual action of both inhibiting ovulation and blocking the androgen receptors. This drug should be used only in women because of the risk of feminization in men (increased breast size and other effects).
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What is radiofrequency treatment for acne scars?
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about w...
Can I use other acne treatments while taking oral isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In general, oral isotretinoin is used only as a monotherapy, meaning that once you start oral is...
What topical products can help treat acne blemishes?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Topical vitamin A creams and gels can both prevent and clear blemishes before they lead to scar ...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?