Are there some home remedies for acne?

Ellen Rome, MD
Pediatrics
Watch as Dr. Ellen Rome shares some home remedies for acne. 

There are some steps you can take at home to help with acne. Start with a cleansing routine that keeps your skin not too oily and not too dry. Wash your face with a mild cleanser that doesn't contain harsh chemicals or abrasives, and pat dry. Aim for twice a day, when you wake up and when you go to bed, and after any activity that makes you sweat. Avoid scrubbing and resist the temptation to pop pimples because that can cause scarring. You can also reduce your skin’s exposure to bacteria by cleaning items that may rub against your skin, such as sports gear and phones. Although doctors say chocolates and oily foods don't cause pimples, some recent studies suggest that eating high-glycemic foods (foods that cause a rapid spike in blood sugar) can worsen acne.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How should I care for my baby's acne?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This undesirable, yet relatively harmless baby rash usually shows up at 3 or 4 weeks after birth and...
Why are there so many different treatments for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In a nutshell, so many treatments are available for acne because no one treatment is perfect and bec...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?