Will general topical antibiotics clear my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Topical antibiotic preparations such as Neosporin or bacitracin are very effective against specific types of bacterial infections that are common to the skin, such as staphylococcus or streptococcus skin infections. They are, however, not effective against Propionibacterium acnes. In fact, the ointment can even be occlusive, which can make the acne worse. The medications designed to treat acne are, likewise, ineffective against many of the other bacteria can cause different types of skin infections other than acne.

When looking for topical treatments for acne, look for labels that indicate that the medication is designed specifically for the treatment of acne and not just for general infections of the skin. 
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Why should I avoid taking my oral acne antibiotic at bedtime?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
When taking an oral antibiotic, it is important to know the dose you are taking and how many tim...
Are there new topical antibiotics for acne treatment?
Some of the newer types of topical antibiotics for acne treatment involve combination medicines. Whe...
Can birth control pills help treat acne?
Heidi FantasiaHeidi Fantasia
For many women birth control pills can help improve acne symptoms. The pills work by helping to cont...
What is a chemical peel for acne scars?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
A chemical peel involves the application of a high-potency acid upon the skin. The more potent t...