Can a facial mask help to manage my acne?

The effectiveness of an acne facial mask depends on what ingredients the mask contains. Sometimes they can make matters worse by preventing acne treatments known to work from doing their job. Lots of people enjoy the masks because they feel good on the skin. So if you want to use a face mask, look for products specially formulated with acne treatments such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or sulfur, and only use them once in a while to avoid worsening acne. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

James M.. Wilmott
Dermatology

A well-designed facial mask can help manage acne by removing the dirt and debris that can clog pores and block the flow of sebum which is ultimately broken down by P. acnes bacteria to create inflammatory mediators that provoke the formation of acne lesions.  These products are typically either clay-based or solvent-based systems that are subsequently washed off the skin.  The addition of benzoyl peroxide or colloidal sulfur can serve as a anti-bacterial agent, while salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent that removes skin cells uniformly so they cannot block pores. 

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Can flax seed treat acne?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Studies show the omega-3 fatty acids in flax seed help soothe skin conditions like acne. That is bec...
How long should it take before acne improves with oral isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In some cases, there can be a flare of the acne in the first month after starting isotretinoin. Ther...
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?