Are there side effects from long-term use of acne medications?

Some people might discover that the medicines that once helped their acne have lost their effectiveness. This is particularly true of antibiotics. Bacteria love to invade the oil-plugged pores, which is why they are often treated with antibiotics applied to the skin or taken by mouth. All bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics, including Propionibacterium acnes (p. acnes), the most common strain of bacteria involved with acne. Other types of acne medicines can irritate or thin skin when used every day for a long time. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about the potential side effects of your particular acne medication.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What are common side effects of topical creams/lotions for acne?
The most common side effect of creams and lotions for acne is sensitivity or allergy to the ingredie...
How do I manage my severe acne on a daily basis?
If you have severe acne, you may need medical treatment. If your doctor recommends medicine, take it...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?