What types of cleanser should I use to treat or prevent acne?

Cleansing can help control oil and bacteria levels on skin, which is important for those with acne. But it's a common misconception that you need to use harsh or drying cleansers to manage acne. A mild, non-comedogenic (won't clog pores) cleanser is a good choice for acne, to help keep skin clean without causing excessive irritation or dryness.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

There are several cleansers that can be used to treat or prevent acne. The best choice would be a cleanser that contains either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Salicylic acid will help unclog pores and benzoyl peroxide is an effective antibacterial ingredient that is excellent for treating existing acne. Both of the ingredients are found in many over the counter cleansers making them easy to find and affordable options.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How do I manage my acne on a daily basis?
On a daily basis, the best thing you can do to manage your acne is to follow your dermatologist'...
How do medications treat acne?
Prescription topical treatments help by promoting cell turnover and also by killing bacteria on ...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?