What types of cleanser should I use to treat or prevent acne?

Cleansing can help control oil and bacteria levels on skin, which is important for those with acne. But it's a common misconception that you need to use harsh or drying cleansers to manage acne. A mild, non-comedogenic (won't clog pores) cleanser is a good choice for acne, to help keep skin clean without causing excessive irritation or dryness.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

There are several cleansers that can be used to treat or prevent acne. The best choice would be a cleanser that contains either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Salicylic acid will help unclog pores and benzoyl peroxide is an effective antibacterial ingredient that is excellent for treating existing acne. Both of the ingredients are found in many over the counter cleansers making them easy to find and affordable options.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Can I use other acne treatments while taking oral isotretinoin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In general, oral isotretinoin is used only as a monotherapy, meaning that once you start oral is...
What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?