Can I find salicylic acid in OTC moisturizers and makeup?

You can find salicylic acid in over-the-counter moisturizers and makeup. This ingredient is also available in soaps, lotions, and creams. Salicylic acid helps to unclog pores and break down whiteheads and blackheads. Salicylic acid may cause skin irritation, so talk to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating skin, nail, and hair conditions) or pharmacist about the benefits and side effects of salicylic acid.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What are treatment options for acne scars?
Depending on the depth and severity of the scarring, there are several treatment options to choose f...
Does timing matter when taking oral antibiotics to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Several advances have taken place in the realm of antibiotic production. Although the original f...
What skin care ingredients can help treat adult acne?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
To treat adult acne, look for benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, resorcinol, azelaic acid, and re...
How can I improve results of my acne treatment?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Compliance is key to getting results. If you don’t use the medication as directed, for whatever ...