Can I find salicylic acid in OTC moisturizers and makeup?

You can find salicylic acid in over-the-counter moisturizers and makeup. This ingredient is also available in soaps, lotions, and creams. Salicylic acid helps to unclog pores and break down whiteheads and blackheads. Salicylic acid may cause skin irritation, so talk to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating skin, nail, and hair conditions) or pharmacist about the benefits and side effects of salicylic acid.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How are lasers used to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Laser stands for “light amplification and stimulated emission of radiation.” Laser energy can be...
How can I treat acne myself?
There are several over-the-counter topical medications that you can try to treat the acne on you...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?