Can birth control pills help treat acne?

Heidi Fantasia
Nursing

For many women birth control pills can help improve acne symptoms. The pills work by helping to control the amount of oil produced by the glands in the skin. When there is less oil there is less of a chance that that pores in the skin will get clogged with oil. Birth control pills can be used with other acne treatments such as topical creams and gels.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
A recent Cochrane review, a review of all the scientific studies, showed that birth control pills reduce acne. Although a few brands actually have FDA approval be labelled as reducing acne, the Cochrane review found all types of birth control pills to be equally effective.

The way birth control pills reduce acne is two fold. They decrease the amount of testosterone produced by the ovaries. They also increase production a substance called Sex Hormone Binding Globuin (SHBG) from the liver. The net result is a decrease in free or biologically active testosterone by about 50%. This reduces acne but the effect is somewhat subtle. Most women notice improvement after several months of using birth control pills.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

what is the nlight-v laser system for treating acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The latest laser to get US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval is the Nlite-V laser syst...
when should i ask my doctor to refer me to a skin specialist for my acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you feel that your acne is persistent or is leading to scarring and you have tried what you c...
how do newer laser devices differ from earlier models to treat acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In the past, CO2 lasers were used to heat water within the skin. This would cause destruction of...
what is the omnilux blue system for treating acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The OmniLux Blue is a new system that uses light-emitting diodes in the visible spectrum at 415 ...