What are the benefits of chemical peels for acne?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

The doctor has used a combination of 30% TCA chemical peels and laser treatments on teenagers with severe comedonal or pustular (inflammatory) acne, and now they have calm, beautiful skin. A peel followed by microdermabrasion works wonders for patients who cannot tolerate Accutane. (Again, every acne condition is unique, and I tailor a combination of therapies to each individual patient's condition.) It is important to stop all medication three days before a peel or PDT and three days afterward. A peel stings and burns a lot for about twenty minutes during the treatment. The patient's skin is pink for the first three days, then becomes dry and begins to peel. Usually by day 10 the skin is much improved. The most important advice: do not pick your skin. It is so tempting while it is peeling, but this can harm your skin since the pieces are still attached. When the skin is dry, using a noncomedogenic, fragrance-free moisturizer can help soften the skin and reduce the temptation to pick. You can use a wet, soapy washcloth to gently massage your face in circular motions to slough off the dead skin.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. All women are beautiful in their own way, if you are considering a cosmetic procedure, you should consult a professional like a dermatologist for questions about which one is right for you. Chemical peels, for instance, may help clear up acne. While it has traditionally been used as a cosmetic treatment for wrinkles and fine lines, it has also been known to be effective in reducing the signs of acne.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How should I treat acne nodules and cysts?
Big, painful pimples that are large, hard bumps are called nodules or cysts. They are oil-filled pim...
Why should I avoid picking at my acne pimples?
If you have a habit of picking more winners from your nose then the stock market, you may want to he...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?