Who is most likely to benefit from hormone therapy for acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
For optimal results from hormonal therapy, appropriate patient selection is key. Hormonal therapy is useful for women with endocrine abnormalities and for women who have proven nonresponsive to or unable to tolerate more conventional therapies such as oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, and retinoids along with benzoyl peroxide. The use of oral contraceptive pills may also be useful for women who require medical treatment to control irregular periods or who would like contraception. It is important to remember that oral contraceptive pills do not protect against sexually transmitted diseases and that a second form of protection is required to reduce the risk of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus and other potentially serious sexually transmitted diseases.
The following are recommendations for hormonal therapy:
It is an excellent choice for women who need oral contraception for gynecologic reasons.
  • It should be used early in female patients with moderate-to-severe acne or signs of androgen abnormalities.
  • It is useful as a component of combination therapy in women with or without documentable hormonal abnormalities.
  • It is sometimes used in women with late-onset acne.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How do non-ablative lasers treat acne scars?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Non-ablative lasers for acne therapy trigger changes within the dermis without injuring the epid...
What is the benefit of seeing a dermatologist for my acne?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
There are many effective over the counter remedies for acne. I tell patients to try products with be...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?