Are there alternative treatments for acne?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are many alternative treatments for acne, although doctors may not confirm that all alternative treatments actually work. For women whose acne surges during menstruation, oral contraceptives may be used to control acne. For people who may have sensitivities to chemicals in soaps or cleansers, natural topical treatments such as lemon juice and tea tree oil might be used. Some people recommend certain vitamins or herbal supplements, such as Echinacea, evening primrose oil, zinc, and vitamins A, E, and B-6. Even though most doctors say that food doesn't affect acne, some people believe that a diet low in fried foods and high in vegetables, especially sources of beta carotene (like carrots, pumpkin, and cantaloupe), might help clear up acne.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

are laser treatments for acne safe for darker skin ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Technological advances are making laser treatments for acne safer for darker skin types. Althoug...
should i moisturize my face when i am treating my acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Some consider the use of moisturizers in people with acne to be controversial. Moisturizers are ...
when should i ask my doctor to refer me to a skin specialist for my acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you feel that your acne is persistent or is leading to scarring and you have tried what you c...
what ingredients should i look for in over-the-counter acne treatment ?
When it comes to over-the-counter topical acne treatments, there's a wide variety of choices availab...