Does acne in someone with darker skin have to be treated differently?

Those with darker skin must take care to not use treatment methods that can lead to drying of the skin or potential discoloration. You should consult a dermatologist for detailed information.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Dark skin has a slightly different healing process and tends to be more sensitive when it comes to acne, so it can be more difficult to treat. This type of skin is more prone to developing dark marks ( Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) from pimples and from topical acne medications like benzoyl peroxide. Consequently, oral acne medications such as antibiotics or Accutane work better for patients whose dark skin tends to pigment easily. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) will gradually fade over time. To accelerate the process, a light chemical peel (one with glycolic acid, which is gentler on sensitive skin) exfoliates the scarring from the skin. Combination therapy with acne medication and lasers is another good option. More than ever, you need to have an experienced doctor do your laser treatments (since this too can cause PIH), and it is recommended, before having laser done on your face, having small test spots done first to make sure that your skin is compatible with the laser technology.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How do oral contraceptives help treat acne?
For some women who experience worse acne outbreaks during menstruation, oral contraceptives might be...
How can I get my acne scars treated?
Joseph F. Merola, MDJoseph F. Merola, MD
First things first: treat the acne, and get it under good control. There are a number of procedures ...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?