Why did my dermatologist say that I have comedones?

Comedones are breakouts, commonly called acne. Your doctor said you had comedones because you have pores plugged with oil, dead skin cells, and other material. When a comedo is covered with skin, it is a closed comedo or whitehead. When it is open to the air is called a blackhead. A comedo is a non-inflammatory type of acne, the kind that doesn't have a ring of inflamed red tissue around it because bacteria haven't invaded the pore.

Continue Learning about Acne

What is an open comedo?
An open comedo is a clogged pore that has an open surface. The plural of comedo is comedones, an...
How common is severe acne among teenagers?
Few youths escape their teen years without a pimple or two, but only a small number develop seve...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?