Why is baby acne more common in boys?

Baby acne is more common in boys and is the result of exposure to the mother's hormones. These acne bumps can be small comedones (a medical term describing pimples), inflammatory pustules, or inflamed lesions that look like whiteheads circled by a ring of redness. Sometimes baby acne involves cysts or painful lumps that grow underneath the skin. If baby acne persists, it may need treatment beyond daily facial washes. Talk to your pediatrician about your baby's skin and follow the doctor's recommendation for cleansing and treating your baby's skin condition.

Continue Learning about Acne

What does acne look like?
This aggravating condition may be mild with small blackheads and whiteheads; moderate, with some...
I break out in zits but have extremely dry skin; do I have acne?
The best approach to diagnosing acne is to see a dermatologist. The unique specifics of your con...
What is the most common form of acne?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
The most common form of acne is comedonal and inflammatory. In general, acne can be broken down in 4...
What is acne?
Acne is a skin condition that includes pimples and cysts found most often on the face, back, and che...