Why does acne happen?

No one is completely sure why people develop acne. However, it's clear that acne happens when skin pores become clogged with oil. Pores are tiny openings in the skin. Your skin produces oil to stay moist and supple. However, when oil clogs these pores, it can trap dead skin cells. This can cause acne in the form of growths called blackheads and whiteheads. When bacteria on the skin becomes trapped in pores, the skin can become inflamed. This inflammation causes reddened bumps commonly known as pimples. Your doctor can give you more information about acne happens and how it can be treated.
Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

There are several things that have to occur in order to create the perfect storm for acne. First, hormones turn on sebaceous glands increasing oil production. This oil is secreted into the hair follicle where it travels up to the surface of the skin. In acne, skin cells at the opening of the follicle become sticky causing a tiny plug of dead cells that block the opening. This blocked follicle is called a comedone and is seen on the surface as a blackhead or white head. As oils collect inside the hair follicle it begins to swell and eventually ruptures. The oil filled follicle is a perfect breeding ground for the bacteria called Proprionobacterium acne. Eventually, immune cells enter the area in attempt to fight off the bacteria. These cells trigger an inflammatory response resulting in pustules and papules that are seen in acne. 

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Acne triggers can be hormonal changes (which is why so many teenagers and pregnant women suffer from it). Instigators also include genetics, certain foods, and stress. Anything irritating that is put on your skin or done to it, intentionally or not (from a glycolic lotion to scrubbing too hard), can generate an inflammatory response that pops up as one pimple - or a few.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What does acne look like?
This aggravating condition may be mild with small blackheads and whiteheads; moderate, with some...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?