What is a whitehead with acne?

A whitehead is an acne lesion that forms when excess oil and dead skin cells clog your pores and block the opening. The medical term for a whitehead is a closed comedo because the pore is closed. Acne is caused by too much sebum (oil), dead skin cells, and bacteria clogging your pores. It is the most common skin disorder and produces small, red pimples on the face, neck, back, chest and shoulders. Good skin care each day, along with over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription medications, can help you manage acne breakouts. Talk to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating skin, nail, and hair conditions) about treating whiteheads or other acne breakouts.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Why should I avoid scrubbing my skin with acne?
Proper skincare each day is important in managing acne and preventing flare-ups, but avoid scrub...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What Is a Blackhead?
What Is a Blackhead?