What skin disorder might cause sore bumps on my child's neck?

A bad case of acne can produce painful bumps (known as cysts) on the neck as well as the face, chest, back, or elsewhere on the body. An acne pimple can form when a skin pore (or tiny opening) becomes clogged with dead cells and naturally occurring oils. Over time, bacteria can grow in the pore, causing it to become inflamed and form a red bump that is known as a pimple. If the inflammation reaches deep into the skin, it can form a cyst. Cysts are not only unsightly, but they can hurt, too. See a doctor if you have developed an acne cyst.

Continue Learning about Acne

What are the different types of acne lesions?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Following are the different types of acne lesions:Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The ...
Do teenagers grow out of acne?
Most of the time, teens do grow out of acne. Teenagers are more at risk for developing acne during p...
How do I treat blackheads?
Popping a blackhead can actually affect your brain. Learn a better way to treat blackheads in th...
Why are pimples red?
The redness of a pimple is due to inflammation below the skin’s surface. The inflammation is the res...