What is an open comedo?

An open comedo is a clogged pore that has an open surface. The plural of comedo is comedones, and open comedones are also called blackheads. As you look into the clogged pore, you can see that it is black inside. This happens when a hair follicle, the tiny shaft in the skin through which hair grows, gets clogged near the top of the skin. Air that comes in contact with the plug causes it to turn black. Acne is characterized by blackheads, whiteheads (also called closed comedones), and inflamed red pimples or "zits."

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What are the different types of acne lesions?
Acne can take many forms including white/blackheads, raised bumps known as papules, red bumps ca...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?