What should I know about using a facial mask if I have acne?

If you have acne, you should not use a facial mask. A facial mask is commonly used to exfoliate the skin and remove the surface layer of dead cells, or to tighten pores and give the skin a brighter appearance. Yet the ingredients in a facial mask may irritate acne-prone skin and cause a breakout of pimples. If your skin stays irritated, it's harder to self-manage acne with a daily skincare regimen. Washing your face twice a day with a gentle or mild cleanser and using doctor-recommended acne treatments are safe ways to keep your skin clean and bright and avoid acne breakouts.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What are inflammatory acne lesions?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
All acne lesions start as a microcomedo. This consists of a microscopic plug of the follicle. The di...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Common Is Adult Acne?
How Common Is Adult Acne?