What should I know about using an exfoliator with acne?

Exfoliation is the act of removing the surface layer of dead cells. While exfoliating the skin may be fine for some people, you should avoid exfoliating if you have acne with pustules or are prone to breakouts. A pustule is an inflamed acne lesion that looks like a whitehead with a red ring around it. You can find exfoliants in different forms, such as cleansers, scrubs, or masks. The scrubbing ingredients in the exfoliant, such as rice beads or ground nutshells, may break the pustule membrane and spread strains of bacteria to other parts of the face and neck.

Continue Learning about Acne

How do I treat blackheads?
Popping a blackhead can actually affect your brain. Learn a better way to treat blackheads in th...
What are the latest innovations for treating acne?
Today, dermatologists most commonly focus on treating acne with a combination of medications. In...
What do acne scars look like?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
All acne scars are not alike. A forceful inflammatory response can have two results. The most co...
What is a closed comedo?
A closed comedo is a raised, clogged pore. The plural of comedo is comedones, and they are also ...