What is severe acne?

Judy Caplan
Severe acne is usually referred to as cystic acne. It presents with large hard cysts under the skin. Often times these need to be opened surgically. This type of acne is often genetic and runs in families. Other times it can be hormonal. Fortunately there are medications to control severe acne and prevent disfiguring scarring. Accutane is an oral vitamin A derivative that can be a miracle prescription drug for those suffering from this disorder.
Severe acne is an extreme form of acne that can include deep cysts and extensive damage to the skin, both of which can lead to scarring.

The most severe form of acne is cystic acne. With cystic acne, inflammation causes red, pus-filled lumps to grow under the skin's surface. Sometimes cysts join together to create a large abscess. Cystic acne may be painful and may cause scars.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What does acne look like?
This aggravating condition may be mild with small blackheads and whiteheads; moderate, with some...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Do I Treat Blackheads?
How Do I Treat Blackheads?