What is acne vulgaris?

Acne vulgaris is the medical term for the most common type of acne. Acne vulgaris develops when sebaceous glands in the skin make too much sebum, the oily substance that lubricates the skin and hair. This oil can clog pores, where bacteria can thrive. The immune system fights back, causing oil-filled pores to become red, swollen pimples. Acne vulgaris often occurs during puberty, when hormones surge, and other situations in which hormones are out of balance. This type of acne tends to run in families.

Continue Learning about Acne

How is adult acne different from teen acne?
Even though acne is typically thought of as a teen problem, adults-especially women in their 20s, 30...
What’s the difference between acne and rosacea?
Acne and rosacea may look similar, but some important differences set them apart. Acne can cause...
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?