What is an acne pustule?

Small and red lesions with a white center, called pustules, start as red dots, but turn into inflamed lesions with a white pus-filled center. Many women get these right before their period when hormone levels are high (yes, they can be hormonally driven). The skin produces too many pimple-causing oils, setting the stage for a clogged pore.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

An acne pustule is a type of pimple that begins as a whitehead. Whiteheads develop when oil, dead skin cells, and material clog the skin's pores. Sometimes bacteria get inside the pores and multiply, causing the pore to fill with pus. As the bacteria multiply, they fill up the pore and immune cells gather to fight it off, so the tissue around it expands. The top of an acne pustule can be yellowish white and the base can be red and swollen. The larger the pustule gets, the more inflamed the tissue around it gets.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What is a safe way to pop a pimple?
Pimples are formed because the body is trying to push out infections. However, squeezing pimples act...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout. Weighed down with acne woes? You’re not alone. A whopping 40 to 50 million p...
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?