What increases my risk for acne?

Beyond hormonal changes and the connection to some medications, there are other factors that could contribute to the development of acne. Directly applying oily substances, such as some cosmetics, can lead to acne. Further, heredity can also play a role in who gets acne and who doesn't.

Any changes in hormone levels increase the risk for acne, which is why acne is most common among teenagers going through puberty. Other things that affect hormone levels, including pregnancy and steroid use, often increase the risk for acne, too. Using certain cosmetics may clog pores and increase the chances of developing acne. But, contrary to popular myths, greasy foods don't increase the risk for acne.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What skin disorder causes blackheads on a teenager’s face?
The common skin condition known as acne can cause blackheads. These small, dark bumps form when de...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?